The Learning Environment: The Third Teacher
Bomaderry Community Pre-school has two indoor learning environments; the Wattle Room and the Gumnut Room.
These rooms have been designed in line with the Reggio Emilia teaching approach, which sees the environment as a third teacher. In these rooms there is a construction area, dramatic area, thinking area, and various discovery centres.
The outdoor learning environment is an intergral part of the learning environment, the potential for play is endless and limited only by the imagination.
These learning environments are designed to:
- Inspire and delight children as they learn,
- Stimulate creative and independent thinking,
- Encourage investigation, exploration, experimentation,
- Ensure collaboration and social interactions,
- Provide opportunities to develop self-interest,
- Enable reflection and self- assessment and
- Foster wellbeing and a sense of agency